The COVID-19 pandemic has our attention – as we’re sure it has yours. We hope you are staying safe and healthy as we all face unprecedented challenges.
In times of uncertainty such as this, we’ve seen the best of our community emerge. We are overwhelmed with gratitude for all who have asked, “How can we help?” And we would like to tell you how the pandemic has impacted our girls and what you can do to support them during this time.
As of yesterday, like in many parts of the world, all schools in Kenya are closed until further notice, including our two campuses. The Network for Excellence girls in high school, college, and university are also on their way home. The reality of a global health crisis is particularly devastating for vulnerable populations. We are more concerned than ever for the wellbeing of the girls we serve, as they will be more susceptible while at home to female genital mutilation, teen pregnancy, and early marriages. Our schools provide them with physical safety as well as nutrition and mental health services.
Another major threat we currently see is the spread of misinformation and knowledge gaps. Most of our girls’ parents are illiterate, and none have access to the internet. At Kakenya’s Dream we are actively looking for ways to continue to support our girls and their families as we navigate this difficult time.
Here’s what your donation can do:
- $300 provides a teacher’s salary for a month. We are committed to providing our staff with the support they need despite the school closure.
- $200 supplies four mattresses for our dormitories. We will be sanitizing the campuses while the girls are home and replacing some items.
- $25 pays for a liter of disinfectant. These kinds of cleaning materials are in short supply and quite expensive in rural Kenya.
Here are more ways you can make a difference:
- Share our work: While we are physically distanced, we can still connect socially. Continue to spread the word about Kakenya’s Dream and share our work with others who care ab out educating vulnerable girls.
- Create a fundraiser: Visit our opportunity page to learn how you can create your own fundraiser or host a virtual party for Kakenya’s Dream.
- Communicate: Although our staff is working remotely, we are still available and want to hear from you, our Kakenya’s Dream family.
Please remember: YOU make our work possible. Thank you for standing with our girls in good times and these difficult times.
We will get through this together and continue to build a better world for girls everywhere.
Let our girls inspire you to stay strong and check out their video below: